News & Related Links
- Read March 2016's home-based worker newsletter, Strengthening the Movement of Home-based Workers, to learn more about WIEGO and its partners' recent work with the sector.
- New research papers that show how sustained and equitable economic recovery can be achieved by focusing responses on women:
- Economic crises and women’s work: Exploring progressive strategies in a rapidly changing global environment, by Jayati Ghosh
- Paid work, women’s empowerment and inclusive growth: transforming the structures of constraint, by Naila Kabeer
More information is available in this UN Women web article, "Economies rebound faster from crisis when responses focus on womens needs."
- See a list of key documents and web resources, posted by the ILO, related to women's economic empowerment.
- Pathways of Women’s Empowerment is an international research and communications programme that links academics with activists and practitioners to find out what works to enhance women’s empowerment.
- The United Nations Foundation and the ExxonMobil Foundation joined forces in early 2012 to create a roadmap to catalyze program and policy action for women’s economic empowerment:
Building a Roadmap: Research Collaboration for Women's Economic Empowerment
- Research Framework - Studies that identify proven and promising interventions to increase women’s productivity and earnings in developing and emerging economies. Specifically, the researchers look at interventions across four categories: entrepreneurship, agriculture, wage employment and youth employment.
- A Roadmap for Promoting Women's Economic Empowerment
UN Foundation and the ExxonMobil Foundation joined forces to create a report that identifies interventions that are proven, promising or have a high potential to increase productivity and earnings for different groups of women in diverse country contexts
- "Women are always the strongest" an interview with Paola Caviedes, Waste Picker from the Confederación de Trabajadores de la Economía Popular de Argentina (CTEP). By Joachim Frivold (also available in Spanish)
In the News
To see the latest news items, gleaned from around the world, on domestic workers, home-based workers, street vendors and other informal worker groups, visit WIEGO's News & Events section.