Who We Are
The WIEGO Network consists of individuals and institutions from three broad constituencies:
- membership-based organizations (MBOs) of informal workers such as trade unions, cooperatives, and worker associations
- researchers and statisticians who carry out research, data collection, or data analysis on the informal economy
- practitioners from development agencies (inter-governmental, governmental, and non-governmental) who provide services to or shape policies towards the informal workforce
WIEGO's founders decided that the WIEGO network should build alliances and draw on the expertise of individuals and institutions from each of these constituencies around the globe.
MBOs of informal workers who are active in WIEGO are invited to become our Institutional Members.
Individuals from the other two constituencies who are active in WIEGO are invited to become our Individual Members. As of February 2017, the WIEGO network had 191 Members – 34 Institutional and 157 Individual Members – from 45 countries.
Read the WIEGO MBO Newsletter.
A 10-person Board of Directors governs the WIEGO network. Board members are drawn from our three constituencies and come from diverse backgrounds and different regions. The Board has two committees: a Management (or executive) Committee and a Financial Committee. Meet our Board.
The WIEGO Team includes 43 individuals who are based around the world. Only a small segment work full-time for WIEGO; the rest work from one-third to four-fifths time. Many play important roles as teachers, researchers and consultants for other institutions.
- The WIEGO Secretariat is located at Harvard Kennedy School in Cambridge, USA.
- The WIEGO Ltd. Office in Manchester, UK includes Operations and Finance Teams.
- The Communications Team is based in Ottawa, Canada.
- Members of our Programme Team live and work in more than 10 countries in both the global South and North. This allows WIEGO to create and maintain strong partnerships and alliances in all regions.
View WIEGO Presence on our Dashboard.